Senator Krueger’s Roundtable for Boomers and Seniors, 2021
Being Mortal: Thinking about End of Life Decision Making
Session IV – Living Well: What Do We Value Most?
Thursday, April 22nd 10 am – 11:15 am
Thinking about our own mortality can make many of us uncomfortable and afraid, particularly as we age. Ironically, it is our mortality that makes life valuable. Join us in a life-affirming Roundtable discussion that will spur us to acknowledge that death is a part of life, and will help us to understand that life’s finite nature is what ultimately gives our lives meaning and brings us joy.
– Rabbi Angela Warnick Buchdahl, Senior Rabbi, Central Synagogue
– Jeannie Blaustein, PhD, D. Ministry, Founding Board Chair, Reimagine End of Life, Adjunct Faculty, Pace University, Psychology
Full video of the event can be viewed by clicking here.
Elder Abuse Resources
– In an emergency call 911
– Carter Burden Community Elder Abuse Mistreatment and Abuse Prevention Program https://www.carterburdennetwork.org/cemapp
– NYC ElderAbuse Center Helpline for Family and Friends of someone who is being abused 212.746.6905 https://nyceac.org/
– Manhattan District Attorney’s Elder Abuse Hotline 212.335.9007 https://www.manhattanda.org/victim-resources/elder-abuse/
– Reimagine End of Life: Link for entire program schedule to plan for end of life, grief support, build resilience and live fully and so much more! https://letsreimagine.org/experiences/schedule
– Free Advanced Care Planning Workshop on Saturday, 4/24: https://letsreimagine.org/76768/if-not-now-when-compassionate-advance-care-planning-program
– Free Grief Workshop on Thursday, 4/29: https://letsreimagine.org/76768/passed-and-present-with-allison-gilbert-alica-forneret
– Free Community Vigil to mourn the lives of all lost to Covid-19, Sunday, 5/9: https://letsreimagine.org/76768/candlelight-vigil-with-the-creator-of-the-vagina-monologues
Two Books to Read:
– Ira Byock: The Four Things That Matter Most: https://irabyock.org/books/the-four-things-that-matter-most/
– BJ Miller and Shoshana Berger: A Beginner’s Guide to the End: https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/A-Beginners-Guide-to-the-End/BJ-Miller/9781501157219
– NYT Opinion – Thank God for the Poets, Margaret Renkl: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/05/opinion/poets-poetry-month.html
– NYT Opinion- My Second Phase of Adulthood, Charles Blow: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/18/opinion/life-adulthood-death.html